Most students do not realize that they should prepare for an advising appointment. Just like any other important meeting, you should show up ready. Here are some ways to make sure you are prepared for your appointment:
- Come with written questions
- Research degree & course requirements
- Review general education requirements
- View the schedule of classes if available
- If you wish to discuss scheduling, create a tentative schedule for yourself and bring it to the advising appointment
Some other things to keep in mind:
Expect advisors to give you referrals. While we are experts in advising, we are not experts in all matters related to GVSU. We have worked hard to build networks across campus to appropriate refer you for additional support services.
Feel free to discuss academic and non-academic issues relevant to your education with your advisor. Be willing to identify and discuss your difficulties and come up with ideas for addressing them. The more we know about you, the better able we are to determine appropriate academic goals.
Have you ever been curious about your role as an advisee? How about the role of an advisor? If so, find out here.
We look forward to seeing you at your appointment!